Friday, March 23, 2007

San Felipe Mexico - Day Two



March 18th – San Felipe – Day two

It is official. Tarpon Cay Lodge is the most unique fishery I have fished. Everything here is special. The accommodations are common, yet comfortable. The food is traditionally delicious. It is a good thing I like to eat fish. San Felipe is a rural fishing village. Motorcycles and bicycles are the most popular form of transportation, besides your feet. I did see an H2 today, which was a slight dose of reality. The people of San Felipe are very friendly. Everyone smiles and greets me as we crass on the street. The staff of Tarpon Cay Lodge are especially hospitable. They have told me to help myself to the cervesa in the cooler, but have not let me finish one yet before ask to get another. This is my kind of place.

Today was more of the same with the tarpon. The winds where up again, forcing us to go deep into the mangroves to find rolling tarpon, willing to eat my flies. I’ve found this style of fishing to be very difficult for landing fish. There is not enough room to fight them. I jumped another 15 before lunch, without landing one. I did catch my first snook today. They are fun to catch, but are not a tarpon. The highlight of my day came this afternoon. We found a boca with a hard bottom surrounding it. Sensing the uniqueness of the opportunity, I jumped into the water. Three or four strips into the first cast my line stopped as a tarpon went cartwheeling through the air. I brought that fish and another to hand. Before venturing to the next spot I jumped another 9 tarpon!

This place never quits.

Damien

No comments: