Sunday, March 25, 2007

San Felipe - Day Four



San Felipe – Mexico – Day Four

Today was my final day in San Felipe. I’m bummed to leave, but excited for the next leg of my journey. Campeche is next. But first, one more morning of fishing in San Felipe.

This morning we found a huge school of tarpon. There where fish rolling everywhere. I was able to jump another 9 fish and land 2 more. They would be the last fish we would see for a few more hours. As the morning grew older the wind grew stronger, so we hunted for fish in the deep in the channels. After a handful of fruitless channels we found some rolling tarpon easily reached. On my first cast I jumped the biggest fish of my visit, 20 lbs! Even Marco gave out a “WOW!” He had been telling me for three days that the channels may surprise me. In vein I tried to put the fish out of the doomful mangrove roots. Out the fish’s third jump my bow was too late and the fly slingshot back to me.

It was the perfect way to leave San Felipe. I landed the first tarpon I hooked. Then lost the last one. I look forward to my next visit to Tarpon Cay Lodge.

Damien

2 comments:

Kurt said...

"it is where Mexican lovers visit for a romantic weekend"

...and Marco and Esceil took you there?

Deep Canyon Outfitters said...

Brickner...

Have another shot of tequila for me.