Saturday, March 24, 2007

San Felipe Day Three


San Felipe Mexico – Day Three

Finally, there was no wind this morning. In anticipation of the perfect weather and Marco’s wanting to show me some bigger fish, we left the lodge before sunrise. The ocean was glass, mirroring the rising sun as we sped an hour out of the San Felipe in search of migratory tarpon. March is early for the heart of the migration, but Marco assured me we would see a few.

My sleepiness was rudely awakened shortly after the motor quit by Marco yelling “TARPON, TARPON”. I looked just in time to see the second fish roll well out of reach of my cast. They where swimming parallel with the boat and much faster than we were moving. They were quickly gone. It was easy to see they where twice the size of the fish I had seen thus far, but they where not as big as the fish Marco usually sees in that area. The morning grew long and the Tarpon scarce. Those first rolling fish would be the only tarpon we would see for the rest of the morning.

On our way back to the lodge we stopped to fish the prime baby tarpon water and found a school on flats right away. I made 5 perfectly placed casts, but could not get the hook up. On the 5th presentation I drew 3 fish from the school to inspect my fly. I thought one of the three would eat, but instead they turned and raced to catch the school, spooking the bunch in the process. This morning would be my first fishless out of the trip. I hope it will be the only one.

We returned early to the lodge for lunch and siesta. At three we loaded into the van and headed out. Marco wanted to show me the baby, baby tarpon he is aiding to develop. He has dug deeper channels in the mangroves, for the 1st year tarpon to have sanctuary. It was cool to see that they behave much like the old fish, rolling and schooling, and eating everything they can. I saw many fish 4 – 6 inches chase my crazy Charlie, unable to fit connect with the too large hook. I did catch one fish of 10 inches, which is the size that Marco releases in mangroves with easier access to the open ocean. He releases between 70 and 150, 8 – 12 inch tarpon each May. No wonder why there are so many tarpon here. Not only is he helping the tarpon grow as yearlings, but he has helped to establish a bio-reserve for both Tarpon and Snook. The commercial fishermen in San Felipe are not allowed to fish a 12 Kilometer area north of town. Further, Marco and his guides don’t fish the first 2 kilometers of the reserve. That is the area they release the first year fish. They don’t want them to become wary of their boats.

I like the fact that Marco is thinking about the future of the area.

Damien

No comments: